description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Mary Ann Elizabeth Powell Bass

This was her birthday, the 21st of February, but I missed it this year.  I did make a post (HERE) in 2014 in her honor.  And she's part of an interesting family that traveled from North Carolina, to Alabama, to Louisiana and finally to Walker County Texas.

In Huntsville, Walker County, TX, the Historical Association meets monthly in a museum they've established, in the Gibbs-Powell house.  "It was built in 1862 by Thomas Gibbs, and the Gibbs family was often visited at the home by personal friend Sam Houston. The house has been the home to several generations of Gibbs and Powell families."


"Through the interest of Judge and Mrs. Ben H. Powell III, this home has remained unchanged, and the interior as well as the furniture and furnishings were preserved to be used as a museum."  I can't find any Ben Powells on my family tree of the descendants of James Moore Powell.  But it's likely they are cousins! (Walker County Historical Society)

Thomas Gibbs was brother of my great great grandmother Lucinda Benson Gibbs Rogers. I know I had more pictures of this house, but haven't been able to locate them yet.  So when I do, you'll get a further link!

There's a great history of Walker County Texas at Texas History on Line (HERE)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.