description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Ancestors of Bowers grandparents

What about Dame Greesly Bowers, Joan Bridmore Bowers, Joan Moggeridge Bowers, Werner Minster Bowers, and Barbara Smith Bowers?

We've already looked at Benanuell Bowers and his wife HERE.

His father George Bowers, married on 9 Feb. 1614  Barbara Smyth Bowers, in Braithwell, Yorkshire, England. Dear Barbara Smyth, both her names are spelled any number of ways.  And her father could have been George, John or Thomas Smith.  I know that one of these men was a 9th great grandfather of mine, But I don't have the patience to figure it out (or just to make a guess.)

The mother of George Bowers was Irwerner Elizabeth Minster Bowers. We only know she was married in 1590, the same year George was born.  The other son listed in their family was Richard, born in 1600. We think both she and her husband Thomas Bowers died in 1659.  I've tried changing the order of her names around, to see if there were people of the surname Irwerner, or Minster.  And using Elizabeth as her first name.  No parents have appeared yet.

Thomas Bowers' father, Edmond L. Bower, the gentleman, married Joan Moggeridge Bowers (1509-1565), in 1558, then didn't have their son, Thomas until she was 55 years old.  We all know that's pretty ridiculous.  So I've taken the option (being his great times 9 granddaughter) of moving Edmond's birth date back 10 years, changing it on my tree to 1555 rather than 1565.  His mother still died in 1565.

That didn't work however, because his death date is still 1659...at age 104.  It didn't make much sense before, that the couple died the same year, and there are no records to substantiate it.  SO...let's move the death dates to closer to when their children had been born.  I can always undo this.  I'm keeping notes right here as to what I'm attempting.  I'm giving him a death date of about 1620 (age 65) and her a death date of about 1630 (age 60).

I'll look further at Edmond's mother tomorrow. I'm sorry if I'm changing data and that's not really ethical...but neither is passing on misinformation where a mother gives birth at 55 and then again at 65.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.