description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Further back for the Weston family

More on the Weston family...going back when dates seemed pretty skeptical (at least to my mind.)

The other day I stopped after saying this:
Agnes Weston Bowers' father was Sir. John Weston of Rugeley II, (1458-1527). He was born in Ockham, Surry, England, died in Rugeley.  I'm listing his birthplace as Oakham Surrey, but it could have been Litchfield, Staffordshire, or Mayfield Sussex.  Those all are listed as his birthplace, sometime around 1457-58.

Her mother was Lady Alice Edshaw Weston, born 1465 in Petworth, Sussex, England, and died about 1547, location unknown. I don't have any parents listed for Lady Alice Edshaw Weston, who was born either in 1456 or 1465.  Neither was substantiated, but it's more likely the later date so she could have had the youngest of her 9 children.

So now we can go to Sir John Weston's father, Sir John Weston I (1418- June 14, 1483.)  His wife was Lady Margaret Mitford Weston, (1425-Jan 31, 1475). In my humble opinion, the dates of their deaths are from a modern person adding a day and month.  Unless they had legal documents saying these dates, I find many hints over on Ancestry have incredibly modern sources...they should not even come up as hints for 15th century ancestors.  It takes a long while to go through them, even when the publication says it starts in 1578 and later.  These folks weren't alive then, and I'm wishing there was a way to stop these hints.

Anyway, there also were about 4-5 marriage dates given for the Sir John Weston family.  I just picked the earliest when they would have been teens or early twenties.  None of them had documentation.

But there were also photos used for their sites on Ancestry, of a sculptural gravemarker. The person who I copied it from had also used an inaccurate John Weston who died in 1700 from Surey England as one of his saved documents for a 15th century John...so I'm pretty skeptical. I can't read what this marker says, but will add it as well to my site, and hope to find someone who knows that these are the people who were my ancestors. John and Margaret were my 13th great grandparents.

And there are even more parents to consider.

Lady Margaret's father was Sir John of Northumberland, Sheriff de Mitford, (April 8, 1402- May 6, 1457), born in Mitford, Northumberland, Eng, and died in Chillingham, Northumberland, Eng.
His wife was Constance Ogle of Northumberland, England, (1402-1470)  She was born in Ogle castle, of Northumberland. They married in Mitford, also in Northumberland. 

More on her family soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.