description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

More pinnacle ancestors

Pinnacle - this has become my own name for the furthest back (thus highest rank in numbers of greats) ancestors.

The daughter (in my line of ancestors) of Thomas Reeves Brinley, Esq. (1591-1661) was Griselle Wase Brinley Sylvester (1635-1687) who married Capt. Nathaniel Gascoigne Sylvester (1625-1680.)

Capt. Sylvester has more to be added to his biography and lineage.

I just discovered his father Giles Sylvester's (1588-1651/52) baptismal record.    Giles would be my 8th great grandfather.  He was born probably in 1588 and baptized on Nov. 8, 1588 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England.  This record states his father was John Silvester, though other Ancestry trees (about 10 of them) all say his father was Joshua.  It's possible they read the same record differently.  I'll keep John as his father for now.

Ah ha, I just found more church records, and John Silvester of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England married 
Alice Wyllyams in 1590...the original record is available to look at and try to decipher, see below.










Church of England records, 1538-1812, Salisbury, St Thomas, Wiltshire, England






Though I read the burial record above and think I see John Sylvester son of John Sylvester, the index says it was Alice Wyllyam Sylvester's death record.  OK, I admit it's hard to decipher.

I just found out why there are so many records of Joshua Silvester and his wife.  Come to find out he was a poet and secretary to an organization called the Merchant Adventurers, who were the English shipping magnates of the time. There's a lot written about him, and it's very interesting.

I just found a "Wilkinson Family Tree" on Ancestry, which gives John Silvester a father and mother's names.  They are Thomas and Elizabeth Chase Silvester, no dates for either of them, but they would be 10th great grandparents, if I find more about them.  For now I'l do a trick that often brings more details.  I'll look at the date of John's birth, and give an approximate date of birth for father and mother's 20 years earlier.  Sometimes that pops up a record within 4-5 years.  Actually the Wilkinson tree says John had been born in 1553 in a place called Laycock, Wiltshire, Eng. rather than abt. 1558 without any place indicated.  However, there is nothing to substantiate this information (yet.)

Ah ha...before I did anything, Alice Wyllyams Silvester had "hints" pop up in my tree over on Ancestry...giving her a father named Edward Wyllyams.  He would be an 11th great grandfather. I only have a baptismal date for Alice, which states her father's name.  She was baptized at St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire, Eng. April 25, 1570.

Next I will look at Captain Nathaniel Sylvester's daughter, Ann Sylvester Bowers (1699-1745)  and her husband Jonathan Bowers' (1673-1750) family's ancestors.



1 comment:

  1. Joshua (John) was my 10th GGF with Alice Wyllyams being my 10th GGM (Her dad was Edward Wyllyams, 11th GGF) Her son was Giles Sylvester (Silvester). I discovered that Capt Nathaniel Sylvester was the First Settler of Shelter Island, Long Island, NY

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.