description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, October 22, 2018

The pinnacles of my ancestry

I think of these as the highest mountains, the ancestors who lived furthest back in records, at least as far back as I know.
So today I'm considering my 10 times great grandparents...

LAWRENCE BRINLEY

BIRTH 1530  Willenhall, Staffordshire, England

DEATH 1574  Staffordshire, England



and his wife:

ANN FLETCHER Brinley

BIRTH 1529  Stafordshire, England

DEATH 23 APR 1592  Staffordshire, England


These English ancestors lived while Henry VIII was king of England (on the throne from 1509-1547) and Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey, and Mary I (Tudor), then while Elizabeth I was queen from 1558-1603.
Henry VIII of England

Elizabeth I of England

We only have a glimpse of my Brinley ancestors, by documents of churches and courts...Lawrence Brinley had a probate record indexed in Shropshire: Lichfield in 1574.  

Ann Fletcher Brinley has had some Ancestry people (called Millennial records) thinking she was daughter of a man named Hawthorne, and thus was given further ancestry.  But Fletcher is the maiden name that I've found in a Staffordshire Parish record of her death.  Even that might not be correct.

What are other 10th great grandparents that I know of?

Lawrence and Ann Fletcher Brinley's son, Richard Brinley married twice, and his second wife was Joanne Reeves Brinley (mother of Thomas Reeves Brinley).  Her father was another 10th grandfather.  

His name was Richard Reeve, and I mentioned him in an earlier post, (HERE).  Since I wrote that last post we now have a Church of England marriage record to H???  in Devizes, St John the Baptist, Wiltshire, England. It's beautiful writing but mostly illegible. The marriage took place on 2 Dec. 1564.  Their daughter Joanne Reeves Brinley was born probably in 1563.

Joanne Reeves Brinley and Richard Brinley's son, Thomas Reeves Brinley's wife was Anna Wase Brinley, (we can follow her father's line to her father, William Wase (1580-1642), another 10th great grandfather.  His burial is documented as being in the same churchyard as his son-on-law, Thomas Brinley, though he died a decade before. His tomb inscription (according to the L'Hommendieu Index) states "Here leith the body of the aforesaid William Ware* who died the 19 of September, 1642, aged 62 years and 5 months." (The * refers to Ware having been mistranscribed from Wase.)

This 10th great, William Wase (1580-1642) was son of William Wase (1554-1597) a 11th great grandfather!  I have no documentation of his birth, but several with the general year but differing dates and places of his death.

Since his father (my 12th great grandfather) was also William Wase of Wollavington, (1520-unknown) there may have been some confusion as to some of these unrecorded birth and death dates.

There are still some records coming up for a William Henry Wase, and I don't know where he fits into the family yet. 

I am considering how long most people lived in those days, and there may well have been another generation which isn't accounted for. The "12th great" sounds as if he didn't marry and have children till quite late in his life.

But until more primary documentation comes along, I'll leave my tree as it stands.

Now to look at the wives of the Wase family.  Next time...













No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.