description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Eleven and twelve times great grandparents

The French/Italian family had a lot of names on each individual, indicating some royal standing, I think.

Genevieve Jane Buschier de Clerke Lady Roan had been born in Roan sometime between 1540-1550. Her husband, Dominic, came from  Sicily. And I realize Sicilians are not quite the same as regular Italians. This 11 times great grandfather had been born in Minfi, Provincia di Agrigentio, Sicily. But  I don't think he was Italian after all.

When I look at the parents of this couple, I find yet more titles, in various languages.   Domic's father was listed as Sir John Thomas I Burcher/de Bourchier/Warine-fan Bath, Lord Fitz Warin/Warine, 2nd Earl Bourchier van Bath.

Domick's mother may have been Countess Lady Elizabeth Isabel Eleonore Manners Hungerford-Bath-Wentworth-Burcher/ Countesss of Bath.

I think whoever wrote those names on our ancestry was carried away by various spellings. But none of the three trees which list all of those names of Sir John Thomas and Lady Elizabeth of England mention a son named Dominic, nor a Sicilian connection.

So we're not going to name all the titles which may have been there, but not in Sicily I'd imagine. Rather we're going to let Dominic be the last of the line at 11 greats. And his parents may just be the Buschiers of Sicily.

Since he married a titled woman of Roan France, then settled in England, it is reasonable to think that they were immigrants who moved to survive. This was not clear in any of the documents I've found, and the countries were not at war at the time these ancestors were living, I don't think. But it's possible the religious conflicts may have affected these ancestors if they identified themselves as Huguenots. I don't have any documents to that affect either.

So Lady Roan, Genevieve Jane Buschier de Clerke was probably Marie Buschier Basse's mother. 

Genevieve's parents were probably:

John de Clerk (1515-1545)  and possibly Elizabeth someone. She was not Lady Elizabeth Ashton, who married someone else. I wonder who is putting this tree together! But John de Clerk was born and died in France. We don't know the name of his wife, though a guess at Elizabeth is just a guess.

His father was also named John de Clerk d'Ford (1503-3 May 1559) born in Wrotham, Tonbridge and Malling Borough, Kent, England, and died in Finningham, Mid-Suffolk District, Suffolk, England.

And again we find a knighthood has been bestowed on John de Clerk d'Ford...as well as having two wives listed, a Margaret and a Lucy. So while I unwind the tangled web of these 13 times great grandparents, I'll leave you to relax in knowing I had some French, probably Sicilian, and mainly English ancestors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.