description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 26, 2021

Following the Basse family grands to the 11 greats

When I went back on the Buschier line, I found French, Sicilian, and even some folks with knighthoods and titles.

Returning to Humphrey Benjamin Basse Sr., the father of American immigrant Nathaniel Bass, and Humphrey's own parents. His father, my 11 times great grandfather, was William Humphrey Benjamin Basse, b. 8 Mar 1520 in Dammartin, Haute-Marne, Champaigne-Ardenne, France. He died 13 May 1614 (or 1616) and is buried at St. John the Baptist, Hillingdon, Middlesex, England.

Humphrey Benjamin Basse Sr.'s mother was Mary (Margaret) Carkin/Larkin Basse. She was born in 1525 in Wells, Sommerset, England. She married William Humphrey Benjamin Basse either in 1542 or 1545. They probably had at least 6 sons, whose birth dates may well be inaccurate.

Whatever records may still exist, they give my 11 times great grandmother a great age before her death, of 91 years, dying in London, England, and buried at St. Helen Bishopgate on 20 July 1616.

I briefly looked at Mary (Margaret) Carkin/Larkin Basse's parents on Ancestry.

Do you see me throwing my hands up in amazement? It's because these families sound so familiar to the ones I found just yesterday, or maybe the day before.

Remember Dominic Buschier from Sicily? Today I find him as Domanic Carkin, born 1501 in Menfi, Agrigento, Sicily, Italy. He died in London, Middlesex, England on 8 Dec. 1596. His wife was Genevieve Jane Clerke Carkin, born in 1505 (?) in Rouen, France. And she lived an unbelievable long time until a death recorded as April 10, 1620, in Wiltshire England. She was not only listed on 3 other ancestry trees as living 115 years, but these 3 trees said her father was a Clerke, and she married Dominic Buschier, and was mother of Mary Buschier Basse rather than Mary mother of Humphrey Basse. She can't very well be both!

So once again I stop at the 11 greats of grandparents...because it's just spaghetti from here on. Possibly someone has correct ancestors, but that information is currently hiding behind some fictionalized trees.

And since this Carkin/Larkin wife is so unbelievable, I think I'd best leave her parents blank on my tree for now. I have heard of Carkin/Larkin in other places in the Rogers ancestors. but these poor folks have been misappropriated by some eager Ancestry tree writers. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am wondering is you have gotten anywhere with this enigma?

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.