description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

The French connection

Nathaniel Bass, (1589-1654) immigrant, entrepreneur. Also my nine times great grandfather.

His ships helped supply the goods needed by the colonials of the new Virginia Colony. He had a large family that he came from in England. 

His father, my ten times great grandfather, was Humphrey Benjamin Basse, Sr. (1563-4 June 1616) He was born in Walden, Essex, England, and died in London, being buried in St. Helen Bishopgate, London, England.

St. Helen Bishopgate, London, Eng.


Nathaniel's mother, my ten times great grandmother, was Mary/Marie Buschier Bass. (1568-22 June 1616) She was born in Roanne, Loire, Rhone-Alpes, France, and died in London England.

So I definitely had a French ancestor on this tree! However, I feel most sorry for this grandmother for having 20 children. Many of them didn't live very long though, and there were several who had a second brother named the same as the earlier sibling who'd died.

My grandfather Nathaniel was their third son, with the first two having been twins, one of whom died within his first year. He had another set of twin brothers born in 1613, one who died at birth, and the other who died in his first year. Nathaniel got married in 1613 to Mary Jordan.

And the further I look into Nathaniel's siblings, the more confusing it gets...so I think I will just focus on my direct line instead.

I want to look into my French grandparents. And the jokes on me, as they say...

Marie Buchier's parents were: Dominic Buschier, who was actually from Agrigento, Provincia di Arigento, Sicilia, Itlay born in 1521, moved to France, married Genevieve Jane de Clerke Lady Roan and died about in 1594, 

Genevieve de Clerke was born in France, but died in England in 1620. She married two other men after Dominic died.

I will have to look further into these grandparents who were my times 11 greats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.