description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Scottish connection - back to 9 times great grandparents

 I'm going to look at my ancestors on my mother's family tree next...which I call the Booth Family Tree.

Isaac Booth Jr. (1795-1836) was my 4 times great grandfather.  His wife was Jane McElhany Booth (1794-1833) who had been born in Dauphin County PA.  Her father had also been born in Dauphin County, and he was William McElhany (abt 1866 -1815) 

Let's look at the male line first. His father was Capt. Thomas McElhany, who served in the American Revolution. He was born in Hanover Township, Lancaster Co. PA in 1744, and lived until 1828, dying in Dauphin County, PA.  His father was Alexander McElheney, born abt. 1725 in Scotland, d. 1761 Lancaster Co. PA. He was the furthest back of that line that I have information on, my 7 times great grandfather.

Going back to Jane McElhany Booth, her mother was Elizabeth (Betsy) McNeal McElhany, (1768-1849) having been born in Dauphin Co. PA. Unfortunately I don't know which McNeals had been her parents. 

Her husband's mother, Mary McCord McElheny (1743-1807) had been born in West Hanover, Dauphin Co. PA. She was one of my six times great grandmothers. 

Her father was John McCord, Sr. born in 1702 in Stewartstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, and died aft. 1762 in West Hanover, Dauphin Co, PA. 

Mary McCord McElheny's mother was Mary MacIntyre McCord, born in 1712 in Derry, County Cavan, Ireland, and died about 1775 in Hanover, York Co. PA. We don't know anything about the MacIntyre family.

But John McCord, Sr.'s parents were:

John Duncan MacCord (MacKorda), Clan Chief, born in 1660 in Argyle, Skye, Scotland, who died in 1715 in Stewartstown, County Tyrone, Ireland.  His wife was Mary (Sarah) MacDougall McCord, b. 1664 Argyle, Skye, Scotand, d. 1725 Stewartstown, County Tyrone, Ireland.

Mary (Sarah) MacDougall McKorda portrait  (1664-1725)

John Duncan MacCord's father was Sir James Duncan MacKorda, Clan Chief, b.1620, Argyle, Skye, Scotland, d. 27 July 1689, Battle of Killiecrankie Pass, Perthshire, Scotland. Sir James' wife was named Jean, but we don't know her surname. She was born in 1638 in Argyle, Skye, Scotland, and died in 1670 in the same place. She was my 9th great grandmother.

There are still a few more mothers to discover...

Parents of Mary (Sarah) MacDougall McKorda (1664-1725) were:

James Bernard Edward MacDougall, b. 1623 Inverness, Scotland, d. in battle 27 July 1689, Battle of Killiecrankie Pass, Perthshire, Scotland.  His wife was Blanche Casey MacDougall, b. 1623 in either Ulster Ireland or Argyle, Scotland, and d. in Argyle, Skye, Scotland after 1623.

The parents of James Benard Edward MacDougall were James MacDougall b. 1590 Argyle, Scotland and d. after 1629 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canadian Colony...and Margaret McClellen MacDougall, b.1603 in Scotland, d. 1647 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canadian Colony. James and Margaret MacDougall were my nine times great grandparents!

And the way Ancestry has hints, giving more information for different individuals, I just found out supposed parents of Margaret McClellen MacDougall. They were Crusader Thomas II MacLellen, (1520-1597) and wife Lady Grissel Maxwell MacLellan (1550-1597). The addition of their names to my tree includes a 17 page document describing their Castle, Dunollie Castle, of which there are remains today, on Maiden Island, Scotland.

However, as I looked at the various dates of the MacLellens, I notice a bit of difficulty for mistress Margaret in having been born in 1603. It seems both the McLellen parents died in 1597. I haven't removed them from the tree yet, because I'm a sucker for documents. After I read about their castle, I'll probably have to let them go.

I've gone through several generations, and don't think I'm finished quite yet! Next I'll go as far as each line is listed as of now, from Ancestry. Of course I keep having some stops due to hints about the more famous ancestors!

I did notice that about 3 direct ancestors died on 27 July 1689, at the Battle of Killiecrankie Pass, Perthshire, Scotland.

That's an interesting story...for another post.










1 comment:

  1. Hi and thanks for the info- From my understanding Margaret McClellan was born in 1591!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.