description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

How far back is reasonable on this line?

 It's a dizzying height on the tree. We were at the 13 times greats grandparents.

Grandfather times 12 greats was John De Clerke, (1515-1545) who lived primarily in France.

His father, 13 times great grandfather was John Clerke d'Ford (1503-1559). His first son was John (1515-1545) with his first wife, Lucy d'Canterburg Moyle, Lady (1495-1530) who was born in France, and died in Wrotham, Kent, England. They married in 1519.

John Clerke d'Ford married a second time in 1530 to Lady Margaret Rose Ingold de Ingaldthorpe d'IngoldSweet. Don't you love how her names are massaged together? No way they really were all of these interesting variations. It's almost as hilarious as her many children that were born starting when she was 5 years old...totaling 20, including another John Clark II (1541-1598). But wait, there's another wife listed as well, and guess what Margaret Faile Clarke's son was named? You've guessed it, John Clarke (1544-1598).

So to say that the first John De Clerk was my grandfather is a bit strange, since he had 2 other brothers with the same father, also named John. They did change their last names' spellings though.

I don't have any parents for Lady Lucy, my great times13 grandmother. However her husband does have parents listed in Ancestry.

John Clerke d'Ford's father was Sir John Clerke I, Baron of the Exchequer, (11 Feb 1480 - 20 Sept 1554) born in North Weston, Oxfordshire, Eng. and died in Wrotham, Kent, Eng.

My 14 times great grandmother was his wife, Baroness Elizabeth de Ferrers (1480-1558).

But when looking at the three other Ancestry trees, I found Elizabeth de Ferrrers married Sir James Clerk...not Sir John Clerke.

So I'm confident that Lady Elizabeth de Ferrers was my great grandmother...but now I'm not sure of the grandfather. So since we're dealing with the gentry of England, I'm sure there's a historic document somewhere that will clarify which one was the grandfather.

And incidentally, Lady Elizabeth does have parents listed as well. But I'll not go any further for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.