description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Alexander Swasey's carved eagle

My fourth cousin, Linda Clark, took the following pictures of the eagle, carved by our common great times four grandfather.

He listed his occupation in 1865 as a "Carver." and indeed he was.

He obtained a seaman's certificate (used to prove his nationality by certifying the place of his birth) at age  36, on May 18, 1822.  It's quite likely he'd been the captain of ships prior to that, but was listed as number 23 of the seamen in Newport RI.

I've written extensively about Captain Alexander G. Swasey, Sr. 
But here's more information that I trolled about Newport RI.

History of Newport I 
History of Newport II
History of Newport III 
History of Newport IV

 
And here are some detailed photos of the eagle.
Photo by Linda Clark

Photo by Linda Clark
More background on Alex's living in Newport was posted HERE.


Article about New York Worlds Fair showing Eagle, 1964, published in the 29 August 1964 edition of the Newport RI Daily News









No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.