description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, May 6, 2018

The other George Washington Granger is actually related to me!!

As I started writing today, I didn't know for sure that he was a cousin but I hopefully checked out all the brothers of the Grangers that are in my direct line.

Born May 7, 1821, to Rebecca Slocum and George Washington Granger in Tolland MA, this George II lived his whole life in that town.  He married Eliza Marie Bird on 26 Sept. 1843.  Their first daughter Ellen Louise Granger, born in 1844, died in 1849.  Their second daughter, Ella Bird Granger was born July 4, 1855, and later married Samuel Tiffany, and she lived until 1936.

George II of Tolland MA was a farmer.  In 1855 he was still living with his parents (a MA census year) and his wife, but his father died in August of that year.  By 1865 he was head of his own household, and his mother lived with him.

George's wife Eliz Bird was from Connecticut.  And since their home of Tolland is west of Springfield MA, very close to the border of Connecticut, there was still a big connection there.  When George died he was buried in the Winsted Old Burying Ground, in Litchfield County, CT. These events are documented in church and civil records of CT and MA.

1877 Winsted, CT by Sarah E. Harvey
After chasing his parents, and their grandparents' grandparents, I am finally able to call this George of Tolland MA a fourth cousin, 5 times removed.  I'm glad Ancestry figured that out for me.  Basically we are both descendents of the first Granger to come to America, Lancelot and his wife Joanna Elinor Adams Granger, my 8 times great grandparents.

So it was worth all that work, sigh.  I am so sorry to see how many times people (like 5 generations in a row) named their children after their fathers. And then records just said, George Granger married someone or another...and there were dozens of George Grangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.