description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Family connections in the old south, Bass family etc.

The connections within families include many cousins who marry in small communities. But this time I found an uncle who married a woman's sister-in-law.

So today let's go back to the Bass family, once they got to Marion, Union Parish, Louisiana. (and I am reminded how the Parish was divided, and different names given to same places as the Parish grew and changed into smaller Parishes through the years.)

My great great grandfather was the youngest son of John and Julia Ann Holloman Bass.  I call him Colonel Richard Bass (though he was probably an honorary Colonel in the Civil War.)

He married Mary Ann (Mae) Powell Bass.  Her parents were James Moore Powell and Nancy Jones Traylor Powell.

His (Col. Richard Bass') older sister Keziah (or Cozzie) Bass married James M. Traylor Sr.  He was the brother of Nancy Jones Traylor Powell, or Uncle to Mae Bass.

So Mae Bass' mother's brother married her husband's sister.  I wonder what they called each other!

I've enjoyed seeing Traylor children on census reports for Bass families, or Powells, often because parents had died or needed to have them live with other families.  Unfortunately early census reports didn't say what the relationships were to heads of households...but they learned to add that after a while.

I posted a bit about Col. Richard Bass back on Friday, January 3, 2014. Here.

On Feb. 21, 2014 I posted about the census reports and the immigration of the Bass family to Texas through Louisiana, HERE.

Belle d'Arbonne, Union Parish Louisiana



Union Parish LA cemetery






No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.