description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy mother's day

I list all the mothers of  my mothers over at my Alchemy of Clay blog today.

But I have as many mothers of fathers, even more, actually.  For all the 3000 some people on my 3 trees, there's a mother behind all of them.  Er, maybe less because some of them had up to 17 children.  So let's say 1000 are mothers.

Imagine if they are all getting together to celebrate today, maybe having a cup of tea and scones...I love scones and have never made them.  I try making various kinds of teas, some more successful than others.

So here's a room of 1000 of my ancestress mothers.  I wish they could sit in a circle, but that would be a bit hard.  Let's do an inner circle of 20 mothers, then another circle of 40...doubling in each circle...wonder how many concentric circles that would make, all sitting comfortably with a tiny tea table for their pleasure.  I think it would only be about 10 circles...though I kind of lost count when I got to the one with 5000 women sitting in it.  Er, maybe that won't quite work!

Imagination is such fun.  Then putting it into reality is the tricky part.

Right now I'm taking steroids for my cough (Bronchiectasis) which might have been hereditary.  Who knows.  Not the steroids.  But they sure make me have funny ideas, don't they?

So I chose a random mother, Maria Magdalena Schmidt Conn, my 6 times great grandmother.  Born 29 Oct 1740 in Buchan, Mosbach, Baden, Germany, and I have no further information on her family of origin.  She married in the US, (I think) to Henry Conn (Kohn) from Ireland.  They lived in York County, Pennsylvania from 1845-1851 at least according to The Trinity United Church of Christ records.  They had 3 sons, 2 of whom were soldiers in the Revolutionary War, and at least one of these was christened in their church.

Maria died on 18 Dec, 1809, and is buried in the Union Cemetery in New Centerville, Somerset County, PA.

Her son William is my ancestor, with his wife Elisabeth Alexander having been born in Guildford, North Carolina.  They married Dec. 6, 1778 in Lincoln County, NC.  Again I don't know her heritage. When another Elisabeth is named in a will, she was married to Mr. Davenport, in North Carolina.  So I'll keep searching.  I did just find her 1840 census report in Henry County KY.

So little steps and many clicks on un-productive sites will keep adding more information to the family, when one half end up being helpful.  Thank you all you mothers who gave birth to all these ancestors! You gave me my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.