description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Some of the Bowers of Somerset, MA

Somerset was their home and where many of my ancestors lived and died, back in the eighteenth century.

The Bowers family has a cemetery on South St, but there are many unmarked graves.  I'm sure the bones of many of my uncles and aunts and cousins lie there.

A commemorative plaque remembers Jonathan Bowers (1673-1750), and lists 9 children.  There seem to be more that Ancestry trees have, which may be a mistake, or not.  This is the private cemetery, but doesn't seem to be kept up. The address is on South St., Somerset.


Jonathan Bowers Jr.'s home on the left facing the river. Henry Bowers home shows between the masts of the whaling vessel Sullivan.



Jonathan Bowers, Jr. 1708-1775) home (also shown with the whaling ship)

Father Jonathan Bowers (1673-1750) had named an earlier son Jonathan, who died young. They lost several of their children as infants.  Since Father Jonathan (also called Captain) Bowers built the oldest house in Somerset (in 1723) it was part of a commemorative quilt made for the bicentenial (1976, I assume.)


This photo even gives each house's address in Somerset.  Father's home is third down in second to the right column, 616 Main St, built in 1723.


Earliest house built in Somerset, MA, the Jonathan Bowers home.


Henry Bowers' (1716-1790) home in 2009 as it was being renovated, (see photo of whaling ship above where this house is viewed between the masts)  This house was also included on the quilt, (247 Main in the exact center of the quilt)  One person on Ancestry commented:
"Burgess House." Captain John A. Burgess was a later occupant of the house. In addition to the Clipper Ship, the Davy Crocket, he was the master of many clipper ships, including the Governor Morton that was built in Somerset."



An article about the Bowers' homes from the Boston Sunday Herald, Oct. 1905, with some interesting stories (probably the kind of things Boston society pages liked to print.)



Top left to right: David Bowers house, Phillip Bowers house,  Henry Bowers house; second row, Lloyd Bowers house, Benanuel Bowers House, Jerathmiel Bowers House; bottom row, Benjamin Bowers house, Somerset Hotel, formerly a Bowers House.

Well, as you can see, they are not correctly labeled.  Henry Bower's house has a cupola above many windows, and I believe it's the one on the second row attributed to Lloyd (whoever he might be).  The photo attributed wrongly to Henry is the exact same one that we've got for Jonathan Bowers Jr. house posted above.


The google air view shows the Henry Bowers /Burgess home with all its shutters back on again, also a 2009 photo...after the renovation, I'd guess!

6 comments:

  1. 23 main looks to be the exact same construction as the Philip Bowers house. Struggling to find old photos or more info on the house. I found an old article with pictures of the bones of the house as it was disassembled and looks like a carbon copy of the front half of 23 main street. If you have any information you would be willing to share, I would love that. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't post comments without an author. But this sounds intresting. I know no more than what these publications put out, and they sure are confusing. If you find out more, please share!

      Delete
  2. When I worked at The Spectator many years ago, I did a lot of research on the Bowers, especially since I did a lot of articles on the old houses. The history is very confusing. I think Philip was listed on the inside plaque at the Bowers cemetery... Because if Philip was Jonathans son, according to the dates on the plaque, he would have been born after Jonathan died. The Philip Bowers house that was disassembled and reconstructed in Westport, was at the top of South Street where Gus' Pizza is now. That was one of my first stories I wrote for the paper... it took weeks to follow the whole project which had to be in the early 1970s. A lot of history, including items in William Hart's History of Somerset, were taken from Avery Slade's gossip sheet of the village and were not true. I also think that the saltbox house at 616 Main St. was discovered to being Benanuel Bowers house late on. Jonathan did build the first frame house in Somerset, which is at 200 Main St. It later became the police station and part of the original stone foundation is still there. I just spoke to our town historian who said actually Philip Bowers was a cousin to Jonathan. It is confusing to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, I would be extremely interested in speaking with you. This is my family line. I am the grandaughter of Jerethmeel Bowers and Jonathan Bowers down the line. Please contact me.
      E-mail hollis.phillips@aol.com
      I live in Charleston South Carolina. I sincerely hope to speak with you.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I just acquired a wonderful watercolor on paper inscribed, "Proposed Alterations in the Grounds and Mansion of Captain John A. Burgess, Somerset, Mass." It has the name of the designer, which I cannot read, and it is dated 1870. My understanding was that Captain Burgess was in command of the clipper David Crockett from 1860 to 1874 when he was swept overboard. In the painting, the house has a wrap around porch. I would be happy to send pix if you might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd love to see a picture of that. Can't contact you from your comment however. The comments come through a No Reply box.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.