description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Children in my family

Repost from Jan. 24/2020

----------------------

 Being born at the beginning of WW II, my life was somehow influenced by the drive to collect metal to be used in the war. So children's toys were not made of metal as much as before the war. I had a wood wagon full of wood blocks, and 2 small chairs, one a rocker. And a little wood cradle for baby dolls. I had been 4 months old for my first Christmas, and I'm guessing this is my second Christmas in Dallas TX.


I loved the nesting blocks (cardboard with pictures from fairy tales on 5 sides of each one.) I probably made some towers with both these colorful blocks and the wood ones which were to teach me the alphabet and numbers. It sure was fun to knock them over and see them scatter, and make a big sound.

My baby sister was born in February 1946, so this is before she turned one. I would have been around  4. We called the contraption she was in a "go-cart." No strollers then!

These girls are all cousins, and it was my little sister's frowning first birthday in a little swing. Standing behind her is the oldest cousin, Claudette, then myself in the middle, and Sandra in sweater on right. Claudette and Sandra were sisters who lived in Houston. We moved there about that time.

I was happy to get a doll (as usual) for Christmas when I was probably 8. (I think she marked the wrong date on this one.) Little sis also had a new doll. I'm thrilled to see what knick knacks my mother had on that non-working mantel.




Here are more Christmas dolls, and we girls have poodle skirts, with matching collars. I was 10 or more likely 11 (again her dates might be within a year or two.)


The big snow of 53 (St Louis MO) may have been 12 inches, or maybe that was another one. We got a sled, and learned what being cold felt like. Most children don't know when to come in out of the cold. But put mittens on a radiator, and that smell will remind us all of how our feet and fingers burned as they warmed up.


Fast forward 40 years, my son, Russ and his wife and their first 2 (of 3) children enjoyed a Florida beach. where her parent had a condo. I've played on beaches with them when one or another was buried in the sand for fun.

My father enjoyed a Lionel train set under our tree many Christmases. This one is at the Swannanoa Valley History Museum in Black Mountain. I enjoy seeing it in action, and it's available for many visitors to operate also.


Cherry Street (in Black Mountain NC) now has 2 empty stores, the toy store and the book store no longer are in business. I hope new businesses move in soon.

This is what I found this week of the old photos with children's playtime captured.

Oh, here's a new one.  

I wasn't there, but my grandchildren took part in a run, and their mom shared this cool photo of jumping for joy!

This is my submission to Sepia Saturday this week! Come on over and see what other playful activities might come up!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.