description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, October 16, 2023

Those Really Old Cars

repost from When I was 69 2.18.22

---------------------


  Really old means "before my time" though I did ride in a few in the 40s probably, just don't remember them!

Sepia Saturday this week features an old American car with a young man, pretty pleased with himself. American because the steering wheel is on the left side of the car.

I have some old photos to share again, since my family of origin always (as long as the company existed) had Studebaker cars.

Early years with cars...

1937, my father stands by open window of car being driven by his younger brother, Jimmy, while his mother (Ada Rogers) sits as passenger.

 Dallas Texas, 1942.  My grandmother (Ada Rogers) and father (George Rogers Jr.) and grandfather (George Rogers Sr.) standing in front of a car (not sure if it's my father's or the grandparents.  The grandparents were living in San Antonio at that time, but visited as there was a child soon to be born (me!)  I would guess it's a Studebaker, since that's the only brand my Rogers family would own for the longest time...probably till it went out of business.

 My mother (Mataley Rogers) sits on the running board (YES, that's what they were called) while my granparents work on the Victory Garden.  In 1942 the US had only been at war less than a year.

There I was (left girl) about to turn 8 years old (1950) with little sis.  Why my father got the car into the pic is probably saying a lot about his values! I would imagine this is one of the Studebakers he owned. We moved to St. Louis Aug. 1950 in time for my birthday.


Below...here I am with sis again (different dresses I think) which means it was probably Easter, 1951. On the campus of Principia Upper and Lower School.  It's a different car already...just look at the grill work and a one piece windshield in the second scene.

I don't know the location of McGlung's Drugstore.  I probably got this old photo from Appalachian Coal Fields on Facebook.  But as I was looking for old cars, this one caught my eye, not because of the store front.  Not because of the various clothes the men and boys are wearing.  But what caught my eye was the back wheel with chains on it.

When we lived in St. Louis, there were a couple of winters that my father put chains on his Studebaker so we could get around on snowy days.  But his wheels were much different by then (50s and 60s).

Below are family members around the new Studebaker.  This one is sporty, a two tone blue, with white wall tires. Pictured (L-R) Poppy (grandfather), sis Mary Beth, and myself just behind the door.


On the right above you can see me pretending to drive, with at least my mom, grandmotehr and sister also in the car (not running of course.) 

Perhaps these photos of old cars will have something in common with the prompt photo from Sepia Saturday this week.  Come on over and see (or contribute your own) selections that others who have a collection of old photos are sharing this week!

Today's quote:
There are those who say to you -- we are rushing this issue of civil rights. I say we are 172 years late. -Hubert Humphrey, US Vice President (27 May 1911-1978)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.