description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Family photos from old blog post

  repost from 9/3/2022 When I Was 69 blog

----------------------------

 I'm going trolling through some of my ancestors, to see if any looked anything like these people! (not counting the dogs.)

Time to do a Sepia Saturday post again! 




Ok, here is Joseph Gresham, 1844-1895, from Alabama. He married "Mamie" Swasey (Mary Ann) 1849-1883, who was my great-grandaunt. Well that's a new relationship to me, never having heard of the term grandaunt until quite recently...and here I have many of them apparently.

Mamie was the daughter of Alexander G. Swasey, 1812-1866, ship captain and the Confederate blockade runner who spent most of the Civil War in a Union prison in Boston Harbor. Capt. Swasey was my great-great grandfather.

Anyway, Joseph Gresham looks like he could have stepped into that group photo from Sepia Saturday.


Alexander John Swasey 1853-1913 was Mamie's little brother and my great grandfather. I don't see him being willing to join the group, since he's posing stiffly in a Bartlett Photo Studio in Galveston, TX.

His wife was Zulieka Granger Phillips Swasey 1858-1935, was my great great grandmother. She's also in a studio portrait.

The photographer is indicated in the little adornment of H. R. Marks, Photographer of Austin TX.

But wait, there's another saved photo of my great great grandmother, known as "Dear Nan" by her family...here on a post card version of a candid pose.


Here she's holding Ada Mary, the only granddaughter born to my grandmother, after three boys. Unfortunately Ada Mary died very young, 1916-1919. But there is such joy in the smile given to that little baby in this picture, it is very precious. And my grandmother went on to give birth to two more boys, one of whom became my father.


I just realized this photo is the only picture I've ever seen of my great-grandmother Bette Bass Rogers 1860-1924 (on right) with her son, George E. Rogers, 1877-1960 (my grandfather) and his first son, Elmore, who was to die before adulthood, 1906-1916. Galveston TX.

But there was a family group photo also! I've been gradually getting myself ready for it. My grandfather George E. Rogers had a big birthday party (his 70th)...and many cousins came! This was at his home in Houston TX...and had to be held outside in August 1947! And I'm even in it, the little girl in second row leaning forward with chin on elbow, with curls thanks to home perms! But my grandmother and grandfather are on the far left in the back row. My mother is on far right in back row. And my father took the photo.



Today's quote:

If I can stop one Heart from breaking / I shall not live in vain / If I can ease one Life the Aching / Or cool one Pain / Or help one fainting Robin / Unto his Nest again / I shall not live in Vain. -Emily Dickinson, poet (10 Dec 1830-1886)

1 comment:

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.