description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, October 16, 2023

Taking a Load Off

Repost frrom When I Was 69 blog 5.14.22

------------------------------------


 There are lots of photos of people in activities, but how many are there of people just taking it easy, or as my imagined relations would say, taking a load off...meaning off their feet of course.

1201 Woodlawn, San Antonio, 1937, James, Gummy almost hidden behind table (Ada Rogers) and my mother Mataley relaxing (before she married George.)


Gummy and Poppy on porch with my mother Mataley in the swing in 1942 before I was born. Poppy was always telling jokes or showing his prehensile toes. He could pick up a dime when barefoot.



The Sepia Saturday prompt...

Uncle Jimmy (James Rogers) taking a break. During WW II he was in the Navy, where he met his wife, also in the Navy!

My father, George Rogers, 11.16.1939 in Beeville, TX, after he married my mom.  I remember that rocker, which was a great joy as my father would frequently read me a story before bedtime.

Me camping in Cades Cove, Smoky Mountains National Park, 1991. I lived in Knoxville TN for a few years, and spent many weekend days hiking. Some vacations were camping.

Cardiac Rehab in summer of 2020. That's a heart monitor with all the wires.

And I just read over on FB that it's the 30th anniversary of The Last of The Mohicans movie, which had some scenes shot here nearby in Chimney Rock NC. Here's a link to the whole movie if you have 2 hours to watch it! (There's a gap of about 5 minutes while the video runs without any sound.)
 https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=search&v=509150970822756&external_log_id=17351850-9e1e-4939-a9be-e527540740b8&q=last%20of%20the%20mohicans%20movie

Today's Quote:
It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.
 -George H. Lorimer, editor (6 Oct 1867-1937)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.