description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 2, 2018

Alexander John Swasey

Was he known as Alec or John? I don't know for sure.

Alexander John Swasey

1853–1913

Birth MAY 20, 1853 Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina,

Death OCT 4, 1913 Galveston, Texas

He was married to Zulieka Granger Phillips Swasey.  He was my grandmother Ada Phillips Swasey Rogers' father. This is my second post about him...see the earlier one here.

He was a bookkeeper, and so was my grandfather, George Rogers.  Mmmm, what's that they say about marrying your father?

Alexander Swasey's mother was Anna J (Fanny Tylstra) Zylstra Swasey.  There was difficulty reading the census, and apparently even the family believed her name had been Fanny Tylstra.  But I saw the "Z" in longhand on a census report, and changed my Ancestry notation for her name, and found more of her family.  Unfortunately I've never found when or where she died.

She had lived in St. Augustine FL where her brother was the postmaster. (See this old post about them!) Alexander's father was Captain Alexander G. Swasey, a nautical man who spent most of the Civil War in prison in a fort in Boston Harbor.  He had been a blockade runner for a short time for the Confederacy.  He died shortly after the end of the war, when Alex John was just 12.

Alexander John was born in Charleston, SC in 1853.  He married Zulieka Phillips Swasey in Galveston, TX in 1884 where they lived until 1907.

My grandmother was married in the Swasey home in 1905 in Galveston.  I don't know if her l year younger sister had married before Alexander John and Zulieka moved to Houston by 1907.

They lived in Houston until Alexander died in 1913.  His wife lived until 1935.  They are both buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston TX







No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.