description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

A repost of an old celebratory wish to all...

Originally posted: Monday, March 17, 2014

I love St. Patrick's Day

...from green beer to the great step-dancing to drumming.  Ahhh.
Shamrocks are beautiful, if somewhat weedy once they are established.  "Erin go bragh!"


 Irish history includes some of my ancestors, as well as the Scottish ones who were forced to move to Ireland by the British.  And lots of wonderful music has been written.

I love the myths.  Bridgid.
The ancient sites.  Newgrange.

So I will salute St. Patrick's day, which was brought by the immigrants from Ireland to the US...and still goes strong each March 17.  Erin go bragh!

St. Patrick's Day Parade, Dublin, Ireland
Some of my Irish (and Scotts) ancestors were:
George BEATTY (BEATTIE, Birth 1665 Cavan, Cavan, Ireland,  Death 9 MAY 1741 Cavan, Cavan, Ireland
his wife:
Martha CAIRNES BEATTIE, Birth 1669 Claremore, Tyrone, Ireland, Death APR 1743 Cavan, Cavan, Ireland
their son:
Francis BEATIE, Birth 1715 Ireland.  Immigrated to America, Death 1791 Emory, Washington, Virginia,
his wife:
Martha TATE BEATTIE Her parents from Scotland, she immigrated to America, Birth 1720 Ireland  Death BEF 1790 Virginia, 
that line ending up in Kentucky and marrying into the Williams family who were my grandfather, Albert Webb's ancestors (Booth Family tree)

And another family in the Booth Family tree:
Robert McNeal, Birth 12 FEB 1741 Dublin, Dublin, Ireland, Death 23 SEPT 1818 Geneseo, Livingston, New York an immigrant whose father was...
Malcolm John McNeal, Birth 1714 Ballymascanlan, Louth, Ireland, Death ABT 1785 Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
and his father was:
Archibald McNeal (McNeel), Birth 30 DEC 1686 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, Death, Ireland

I haven't gone into all the wives who were also born in Ireland.
Let's just say when I say I have Scotch-Irish roots, there are really some strong ones back there.
 
And especially a toast to my son, Marty and girlfriend Barbara, who were active celebrating St. Patty's day in 2014- this photo is noteworthy because Barbara isn't wearing sunglasses!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.