description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Elmore Gibbs Rogers

My Uncle-almost Elmore didn't live but 10 years of life, so I never met him.
He was the oldest child of my grandparents George and Ada Rogers of Galveston TX.

But I do have some wonderful sepia photos of him, thanks to the shutterbug (probably my grandfather Poppy) of the family.  Good clue to that is that he never appears in any photographs of the era!

 My favorite photo of Elmore, age 5, holding his bicycle and a model boat!

Elmore age 3, little brother Alexander 9 months, Galveston, TX 1909

Elmore age 2, Galveston Dec 1908

Elmore Gibbs Rogers age 2 years 7 mos, 1909

Elmore Gibbs Rogers held by his mother, Ada Phillips Swasey Rogers wearing her wedding dress.

In 1910 he was listed on the Galveston Census record of his family, age 4.
In 1912 his little brother Chauncey Sweet Rogers was born, to make 3 boys including Alexander who had been born when Elmore was 2.
In 1914 his little brother (my father) George Elmore was born, when Elmore was 8.

And in 1916 his little sister Ada Mary was born on Oct. 9.

He only lived a few more weeks, "drowning in the Crystal Pool in Galveston TX" (according to cemetery records at Lakeview Cemetery). I haven't been able to find any details about the Crystal Pool, but there's a Crystal Beach in Galveston.

The headstone includes his little sister who only lived less than 3 years herself.



Memorial marker for 2 Rogers children, photo by Floyd Manny Martin

My Uncle Jimmy wasn't born until 1922 (James Winston Rogers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.