description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Chauncey Sweet Rogers. 1912-1974

Reposting from a blog on Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Uncle Chauncey Rogers, brother of my father, was born on 21 SEP 1912 in Galveston TX.  He died  15 December of 1974, in Houston, Harris County, TX (or possibly Escondido, San Diego County, CA) age 62.
Alexander, George Jr, (mislabled), James and Chauncey Rogers, Fort Worth house
 1927

On the Fort Worth Census of 1930, he was 18 and his occupation was listed as "none."  His older brother Alexander was a "drafter for the telephone company" and his father was an accountant for a packing company.


In 1940, his parents had moved to San Antonio, and at 27 he was living at home as well as his 18 year old brother, James.  My father had married by that time, as well as the oldest brother Alexander.  Again, the young men living at home had no occupation listed on that census, and their father was listed as an auditor for Commission Co (which I know nothing about.)


In 1942 he was in basic training in the Navy, in California.




He married when he was 41 in 1953, Eunice B.Shifflett, who had been divorced.  He and my grandfather built a house for Chauncey and Eunice on the same property as my grandparents, but facing the side street.  I don't have a record of Eunice's son who I believe may have been grown by the time she married Chauncey.  I just found a record of her death in Irving, Texas in 2004 at age 92. (Thanks to cousin, Patricia, who keeps up with family records on Ancestry!)




Eunice and Chauncey, George Sr. and Ada S. Rogers
George Jr, Chauncey, James Rogers at funeral of George Rogers Sr. 1960

I don't know if Chauncey and Eunice moved to California after my grandmother's death in 1964, but it's likely that they moved somewhere soon after that.  My parents moved back to Houston TX from St. Louis MO in the early 70's, but I don't remember seeing Uncle Chauncey during my visits to them.


I had no idea what Uncle Chauncey's interests were, nor his occupation.  How can I have missed knowing anything about him?  It happened.  A reminder to ask questions about relatives while they are around.

4 comments:

  1. I was surprised to read that Uncle Chauncey died in California, because I saw him just a couple of months before in Texas. My first husband and I went on a trip in October 1974 that took us through Houston, where we stopped for a few days to visit family. Uncle Chauncey was in the hospital while we were there and we went to see him. As I recall, he seemed very chipper and cheerful and we had a nice, if short visit. I remember him advising us to stop at Motel 6's when possible as he thought they were a great value. We took his advice, and we also followed his instructions on how to obtain the proper auto insurance when venturing into Mexico as we planned, and how to deal with the border guards. We also visited with Aunt Eunice and had a meal with her. I remember being startled that her dog was set a place and ate at the table with us. She also told us a story about finding a scorpion in her house and spending hours searching for the other one because "they always travel in pairs." She found it - in Uncle Chauncey's boot. I was sad when I heard he'd died shortly after we returned from our trip. I did hear that Eunice had moved back to California, but hadn't realized he did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good information, Chris. I looked further to see why Ancestry listed CA as his place of death. His Social Security death benefit was listed that way. A Texas Death Index gave Harris County (Houston) as his place of death, but said he was "single"...so I've changed my records to say he died in Houston. It's an alternate information listing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make more sense. Good to add it, I think.

      Delete
  3. I also had his death listed in Escondido, CA too, as Barbara said, the Social Security Death Index records list his last residence as San Diego, CA. I will change it to Houston also.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.