description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Alexander Swasey Rogers, my uncle I never knew

Alexander Swasey Rogers b.10.13.1908, my father's older brother.

Alexander 9 mos, Elmore 3, Galveston, TX 1909  (Elmore died in 1916)

Alex (b.1908) & Chauncey (b.1912) and dog (Lussie?) 1209 Broadway, Galveston

Alex and Chauncey, Galveston. Alex is the older brother.
Alex (oldest) Chauncey and George Jr (my father, the youngest in white sailor outfit)

l to r, Chauncey, Zulie, George Jr, Alexander. 1917 (my grandmother's sister Stella Winslow had a daughter Zulie born in 1910 )


father of Claudette and Sandra
husband of Donna V

Oct 36, Alex on floor, George Sr, Chauncey, Donah V, Mataley and Ada Rogers






Uncle Alex was in WW II, I think in the Navy.  Incidentally, in Texas we called his name "Elick."

Uncle Alex died young, in VA hospital in Austin, TX 19 DEC 1949 of something secretive
but everything medical was secretive to Christian Scientists.  As a survivor of that religion, I've heard various stories, probably made up, and I'm not about to repeat them.  Sad that he wasn't around to raise his daughters, lovely young girls born 11 months apart.

Easter, 1948.  Before the egg hunt!  Gummy and Poppy, at home  in Houston (Ada and George Rogers Sr)
Claudette, Barbara, Mary Beth, and Sandra Rogers...cousins about to look for the golden egg!

While their father was hospitalized, their mother probably was in Austin as well.  So Claudette and Sandra stayed at their grandparents a lot of the time.

I remember my parents went to his funeral, and my sister and I were baby-sat by some neighbors. But it wasn't a home set up for a child as young as my sister, who climbed up the bunk bed steps and proceeded to fall off onto the floor.  That wasn't the first time she had done something like that...she also climbed attic steps in our house once, and fell down.   Anyway, I think I was sick with something during the baby-sitting episode, because I just remember sleeping in the bottom bunk most of the time.  I wish I had had a chance to know my Uncle Alex.

2 comments:

  1. My Dad always spoke highly of his big brother "Elick," and really looked up to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to know, Trish. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.