description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Making ancestors into a mental sculpture

Connecting the ancestors.
Like connecting the dots...do you remember those exercises? Each dot had a number by it, and you'd follow along, and eventually you will have a drawing of something or another.  What form do my ancestors make, if I bring all the dots together?

I will use my own imagination here, and hope that I don't offend anyone (ancestors are sometimes pretty silent on what they are thinking.)

While my grandmother Swasey's ancestors were in New England, Long Island, and then the South, my grandfather Rogers' English roots spread from generations in the Virginia colonies to Tennessee.  And my mother's kin came from Ireland (after leaving Scotland mainly) or England, to western New York state, Kentucky and then to Texas.  My grandmother and grandfather's families also came to Texas.  So I'd say that's the focal point of all these immigrants.

I see a form coming into being, with that great big map of Texas as the base, and lots of settlers arriving from all over the eastern states.  These people are wearing bonnets and long skirts, buckles on shoes or boots for working in fields, wearing hats of cowboys or pickers of cotton, and working daily to bring up their families.  They arrived in wagons or under sails.

 These are men wielding axes to build homes, to clear fields, then plowing and planting.  These are women making stews and soap, serving food and cleaning children, weaving cloth and giving birth. 

These ancestors were all children, running through woods and grass, down paths of rock and muck.  Some learned to read and write, many didn't.  Some children laughed at their simple hiding games, some children cried when they were hurt. And they hauled water from many streams and ponds to where their families gathered.

Only in the last hundred years did they have indoor plumbing, and then electricity, and then telephones.  Now we mostly have internet and speak through these satellites hanging in the sky invisible.

I won't have enough time in this lifetime to talk about them all.  The many uncles and aunts and cousins who shared similar DNA...we're all connected but not all in touch with each other.  Let's say each of us knows about a thousand people, friends and aquaintances...maybe on the high side for most of us.  And each of us knows maybe 50 relatives...again a high estimate.  So when I consider my three family trees, with over 3000 people listed in totality...I know I'll not learn much about many of them, and will have to skip any mention of most of them here.  I am sorry about that.  I hope someone else is tending to their ancestors...giving some respect for those who gave our lives the existences we have.

Thank you, grandmothers and grandfathers!













1 comment:

  1. Barbara I could not find an eail for you so am responding here. I have my REFLECTION image on the correct blog.it is the last shot on Friday's post. HAve a wonderful weekend and thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.