description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, March 5, 2018

My sister, Mary Miller

Mary Elizabeth Rogers Miller, Feb. 3, 1946- Nov. 6, 2017.

I just found out March 3 that she died in November last year, and that speaks volumes about how she was no longer communicating with any of her family.  I am sad, but feel she is at peace finally.

I posted a birthday message about 4 years ago, so some of these photos are the same.

Since I'm honoring my ancestors here, I'd like to give her life some remembrance also. I will focus on the good times we shared.  But for today, I will just give you a few pictures to share.

I had another friend die just hours after I found out about my sister's death...so I'm dealing with a lot of emotions around death and loss.

Chapter one: little sister, Dallas, Houston Texas.


Gummy, Ada Rogers, was helping mom in Dallas TX, following the birth of my sister, Mary Elizabeth Rogers.  Gummy had given birth to 6 children, but lived in either San Antonio or Houston at that time.  My mother didn't have her own mother help her with either of her births...probably something to do with Gummy's experience and being Christian Scientists also. I'm (in dark hat) seriously wondering (at 3 years old) about what having a sister will be like.


Barbara got to hold wiggle-worm Mary by the time she was 3  months old - just for the picture! Still in Dallas TX.

June 29, 1946, I help my little sis in a pony photo.  Have lost the one of myself.  Mary was 4-1/2 months old then. Dallas TX.

Chapter Two, Houston TX

June 28, 1947, our backyard pool in Houston.  

 Christmas 1948

Mary's first tricycle, 1948.
Easter 1948 Houston TX
San Jacinto monument, 1948

Barb helping Mary Beth who is reluctant to do something!

Snow in Houston, 1949. Sandra, Barbara, Mary Beth and Claudette Rogers, cousins in Gummy and Poppy's yard.

Backyard swing (built by our father) 1949


My grandfather's 72nd birthday, Aug 28, 1949.  Mary Beth is the little girl in front standing, with Claudette holding her.  I'm right behind Claudette with my chin on hand.  My mother is standing at far right.  Gummy (grandmother) is at far left standing next to my grandfather (Poppy).  Daddy was probably the photographer, since he's not in the picture.

Valentines outfits by Grandmommy Munhall, 1950 Houston...red wool! Embroidered blouses by great aunts Alice and Gertie of El Paso TX

Chapter Three, St. Louis Missouri.
Picnic by the river (Mississippi?) around 1951. St. Louis Missouri.

Mom Mataley, her mother Mozelle Munhall, and Mary Beth, around 1954.

Mary Beth and Barbara 1954 

Mary Beth 1955


Barbara and Mary Beth keeping warm in St. Louis, coats and hats by Grandmommy Munhall

4. Our first house (after 2 apartments) St. Ann Missouri (a suburb of St. Louis)

Mary Beth and Uncle Chauncey at our house in St. Anne, MO

Three generations, Mary Beth, Mataley, Mozelle Munhall and Barbara Rogers

Living in our own home beginning in 1956, St. Anne MO

 Piano recital by Barb, standing by rose bed in front yard with Mary and mom, Mataley

 Barb helping Mary celebrate her 12th birthday 1958

 We loved learning how to bake our own (and decorate them) birthday cakes.  Having a Feb 3 birthday, Mary ended up outside in snow often getting her picture taken (we didn't do flash apparently.)

 One of our favorite playground rides, the Ocean Wave at Principia (lower and middle school)

5. Our Home in Clayton MO (suburb of St. Louis)
Another birthday cake, 1961.

A sock-hop, where Barb made some cute faces for right and left legs for Mary to wear.  She doesn't look very thrilled.


 Dressing up for high school dances.


1964, beginning college.

Moving to Clayton Road house, as my parents waited for it to be built...Mary, Barbara and Mataley (1961)

6. Moving out on her own - Florida - 

Flying as stewardess for Eastern Airlines 1964
Living in Coconut Grove, FL

Mary holding her 2 nephews, Marty Heym in sailor outfit, and Russ Heym 1967-8

7. Tennessee mountains

I couldn't locate the few photos I have when I visited my "Back to the Land" sister and her husband Eric.  
This cabin is not anywhere near as nice as theirs was.

Tennessee mountains, and yes, roads to the cabin were just like this!

Eric and Lisa for her birthday, Mary's daughter, born April 1972

8. Moving back to Houston Texas where the grandparent Rogers are

Mary sitting on steps, son Zach at her feet looking at her, her nephew Russ Heym on railing looking at camera, nephew Marty Heym kneeling and her daughter Lisa Schwan on step looking away from camera.

 Mary holding a camera, son Zach talking to Aunt Barbara bending over, Battleship Texas.

Thanksgiving dinner with Zachery with back to camera, Mary, Mataley, the Lisa at the table.

1979 Christmas Houston TX...Barbara back to camera, Mary holding baby nephew Tai, nephew Marty talking with her, Mary's son Zach on floor in red shirt, at Rogers grandparents house.

Zach and Lisa on floor,sister Barbara with hair swinging, nephew, Marty looking at kids on floor, Mary holding baby Tai. 1979.

Mary with daughter Lisa, holding nephew Tai, 1981. At the grandparent Rogers' house.


Mary looking over her shoulder, Tai inside a hat, Lisa and grandfather George Rogers on r.


Lisa Schwan being pushed by Zach Miller, her brother


Mary loved to cook, and we loved to eat!

 Mary supervising her son Zach, and daughter Lisa holding nephew, Tai Rogers in the favorite toy, a big box.

Tai waits for Aunt Mary to come up with more fun toys.

8. Her own home in Houston Texas.
 1984 visit is recorded in Mary's handwriting, a photo of Mary, father George, sister Barbara.

1987 visit with Mary's handwriting of the participants...including the cat.

A school photo of her son Zachery Oliver Miller, who died in 2012.


School photo of daughter Lisa V. Schwan.  She has lived in Europe most of her adult life.

Mary Elizabeth Rogers Miller, first year of high school 1960.



My last photo of Mary, when visited by adult nephews Marty (on l.) and Russ Heym




2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing all the pictures. I know so little of her, only remembering her when we were children. I did not know her son had died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you just reminded me there were some of our visit to Wisconsin also. But I kind of was overloaded with childhood photos. Glad you have a blog so you can comment here! (Silly rules, but it keeps the spam out.)

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.