description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Bluebonnets

If life hadn't thrown my grandmother several curve balls, her artistic talents would have been used in different ways.

I wrote about her life briefly here back in 2013, and her whole family of sisters HERE in 2018 with some other links in case you want to play click and link a while.

Mozelle Munhall was Grandmommy to me.  Several people in my family had a painting she had done of Bluebonnets.  I have no idea where these paintings have gone, but sure hope they are hanging where they give pleasure still.  I enjoyed thinking about fields of blue flowers, which I had seen only a couple of times in my life.

Texas has a great wildflower, the Bluebonnet, which pops out every spring and brings tourists to the fields where they are allowed to grow (or maybe cultivated these days.)


Mozelle Miller's Bluebonnet painting (location unknown)

My family would drive around the Texas countryside after church some Sundays.  I know neither of my Rogers grandparents drove later in their lives, but I don't remember them coming with us often.  Living in either Dallas or Houston in the 1940s, it might have taken an hour or more to find where the flowers were blooming.  Actually I remember them in ditches first.

I also remember getting out of the car to see these blossoms, and that the red ones were called Indian Paintbrushes.  I thought that was neat.  I was maybe 6 years old.

That nature can paint such beauty still takes my breath away!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.