description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

One of those shipping captains, John Samuel Sherburne

More about the Sherburnes, since I just got those big portrait paintings added to my family tree over on Ancestry (see earlier post HERE.)  Of course they are really pretty far removed cousins, or aunts and uncles. But their portraits are in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY, and I quite honestly don't think anyone else on my tree is! (And a quick editorial note, my computer or blogger wants to spell Sherburne as Sherborne, and so if you see it spelled that way, it is unintentional.  Of course there are also Sherbournes who spelled it That way!)

But I do like finding out about some of our leading citizens,so let's look at Captain John Sherburne of Portsmouth, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, (before it became a state.)

John Samuel Sherburne, Capt.

1647-1698


Actually historians know a lot about him, and his home is still standing, as a museum in Portsmouth.  


The John Sherburne house at Strawbery Banke Museum, Portsmouth, NH, built around 1695, which is why a British flag is flying in front of it, because this was a British colony at the time.

John's wife was Mary Cowell Sherburne (1657-1736.)  Her parents (Edward and Agnes Cowell) are my 8th great 
grandparents.  I was surprised, because I had thought her great granddaughter Mary Sherborne Bowers (1735-1799) who married Jerathmel Bowers would be the connection to the Swasey line.  Nope.  Jerathmel's sister married a Swasey, but that made him just an uncle, a few times great.

The Cowells are more direct, and Mary Cowell Sherburne's little sister Amy (Annie) (1657-1736) married into the Ayers family.  (I blogged about her and her husbands here, and some of the history of the Ayers and Cowell families HERE.)  Nathaniel and Amy Cowell Ayers' daughter Amy Ayers Swasey, (1687-1783) married Samuel Swasey, and they became my great times 6 grandparents on my grandmother Ada Swasey Rogers branch of our tree.


Here is more information about the Sherburne home and museum in Portsmouth NH.



I'm glad someone over on Ancestry visited the Sherburne home, and took photos...though not all were in focus.  We'll skip those.




One of the reasons that the Sherburnes did so well started with John Samuel's father, Henry.  I'll give more details about him soon.

 Law enforcement in Colonial America...

Some American colonials who weren't very happy about their taxation.



I'm sharing this with Sepia Saturday, where we look at our history through photographs.  This week are some interesting looking men in uniforms over there.  

SEPIA SATURDAY 423 : SATURDAY 16 JUNE 2018
POLICE  :  UNIFORMS : GROUPS

"When constabulary duty's to be done (to be done) / A policeman's lot is not a happy one (happy one)"









4 comments:

  1. Such an interesting story about the house. I especially like the before and after photos of the small house and the larger one. You would never know that an addition had been added without those. Wonderful that Sherburne house has been preserved all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised that it was actually built and lived in by families who were related to me. Strawbery Banke is definitely on my bucket list.

      Delete
  2. How cool that you've got ancestors with portraits in the Met. Museum of Art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful story about your ancestor and to see the very house the Sherbournes lived in over 300 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.