description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

More about Joe Sharp

I was telling a friend about my fun pursuit of finding the relationship of J. A. (Joe) Sharp to my grandfather, George Elmore Rogers, Sr.  They wrote a bit of correspondence (including Poppy's cousin Hayden Ross) in 1954.

But I forgot to see what his relationship with me would be.

I figured if Poppy and Joe had great grandparents in common, that would make them 3rd cousins...but where would I be?  Fortunately Ancestry gives a description of how people are my relations.  OK, first to mention that Joe was a generation level later than my grandfather, so there's that.

He's my 3rd cousin, twice (or 2x) removed. That's what they say.

I just spent a bit of time looking at his wife's family, which gets into mother-in-laws and step fathers...there were a couple of divorces and remarriages there.  Oh my, stretching the definitions of relationships on Ancestry!.  I wouldn't have done that if some of them hadn't lived in my current neighborhood of Asheville, NC, or where I'd lived back in the 90s in Knoxville TN.  So a couple of these relations of Joe Sharp's wife until the close to the same time I was there as a resident.

I think Mrs. Joe Sharp, (1911-1999) Dorothy Weatherly Sharp, was interesting.  Her father John Bruce Weatherly was listed as a physician (1886-1926).

Then as of 1920 the census has four daughters in the Weatherly family.  However by 1922 apparently Dr. Weatherly married another person in Pennsylvania.  And by 1925 Dorothy's mother married another man...so on the 1930 census the Weatherly girls have a step father.  But not only that, their father has died in North Carolina and then been buried in the Deep River Friends Cemetery in High Point NC, in 1926 at age 39.  His own father lived a year longer than he did.

Dorothy's mother lived to within a few months of 90 years old before dying in 1981 in Knoxville, TN.  But her mother's second husband is the one who lived in Asheville, named James Carlton English, (1890-1950) who was listed in the Asheville NC directory of 1929 as a salesman. He had fought in WW I, but moved around between Tennessee and various counties in North Carolina.  His death certificate said "No Permanent Address" in a government facility in Mountain Home, NC where he had resided for over 9 months in 1950.  Mountain Home is in Henderson County, just next to Buncombe County where I now live.

OK, I'm beginning to feel like a voyeur, looking at a mother-in-law of a third cousin twice removed!

I think I'll go back to look a bit closer at some of the Sevier County people (Mullendores, McCroskeys) which have been sitting on my tree for ages.  When I was searching for Joe I saw an interesting woman who had lots of photos of her and her family.  My voyeurism is alive and well!

Incidentally I looked up Voyeur...
Miriam Webster said this:

Definition of voyeur

1 : one obtaining sexual gratification from observing unsuspecting individuals who are partly undressed, naked, or engaged in sexual acts; broadly : one who habitually seeks sexual stimulation by visual means
2 : a prying observer who is usually seeking the sordid or the scandalous


So I guess I'm ok,  because I don't seek sexual titilation nor sordid or scandalous details. Whew!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks cousin, who just invited me to see her files including the Sharp family! It's great that someone is doing research and there it is! I don't have to re-invent the wheel after all. (But honestly, I did do my homework, and have more posts about what I've found coming in the next few days!)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.