description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, June 2, 2018

The answer to my quest

Who was the McCroskey who married a Rogers?  Or maybe someone who was a descendant of a Rogers?

I just looked at the names of 37 McCrosekeys on my Ancestry tree...none married to Rogers. I do add the married name for women as well as their maiden names, whenever I can.  That way at least I know where they went in their lives.  It doesn't work that way for men, so I can look to see if any of these men married a Rogers descendant.  That won't take too long.  (You've heard that before, haven't you?)

OK, my first task was including the 5 people whose names were spelled wrong, with a space between the "Mc" and the "Croskey".  While doing that I added about 20 more people.  I have no idea why these people were added several (maybe 5 times) because most of them were siblings with the same parents.  I just was focused on the Rogers connection.

And the fifth Mc (space) Croskey was Elizabeth Clack.  That's a great clue, because Spencer Clack was a Rogers ancestor.  So I went over the the Rogers list, and sure enough Elizabeth Clack Rogers married David McCroskey.  Yay me.
A portrait found attached to Elizabeth Clack Rodgers on Ancestry (many people's names were spelled several ways at that time)

Time frame?
Elizabeth Clack Rogers (1805-1860) b. in Sevier County, TN
m. 1828
to David McCroskey (1805-1885)

And who were Elizabeth Rogers McCroskey's parents?

Same ones as Micajah Clack Rogers...namely,
Rev. Elijah Rogers (1774-1841)
m. 1794
to Catharine Clack Rogers (1778-1850)

The McCroskey family called her Beulah "Aunt Katy" Rogers...how that came from Catharine Clack Rogers, I don't really understand, but that's what they've put on the markers about her.  The Rogers Family Bible doesn't have Beulah Aunt Katy as part of her name.

But now I know why I knew of that name!  And my next project will be to reduce the numbers of McCroskeys on my tree by merging the duplicates.  It's a good thing its a rainy night in North Carolina while I do this.  I also have a lot of photos to scan, so I don't want to take too long doing this!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.