description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, June 8, 2018

Letters of McCamy cousins on Ancestry

She was born a couple of months after I was, but in Austin TX, not Dallas.  I just found her name, her birth date and death date over on my Ancestry tree.  She was my 4th cousin, 1 time removed, who died 2 years ago.  I didn't know her.

Somehow adding someone to my tree that has such similar dates to mine is sobering.  Of course I'm still here to add her, as well as her living son, and his family, if I wish. 

1961 High School year book photo of Kay Carolyn McCamy

It's easy to look at birth/marriage/death dates of ancestors who have been gone for years...centuries are easiest.  But to look at a young woman's face who went through school at the same time I did, who danced to the same music at proms, who had her child in a hospital close to the same time I had mine...well, it's become telling a story about someone that could have been my friend.

Do I want to invite this cousin into my life now? Do I want to add her friendship a couple of years after she died at 73 years?  That helped a bit, thinking of how she did get old before she died.

Oh I'm playing with my emotions, I think.

Her obit says all kinds of details about her family...nothing was private then.  But I stop.  I don't want to add them here.  I think, how would I feel if I googled myself and found someone had written my name on their blog who didn't know a thing about me.  Nah.  I need to show some respect. 

However, I do want to share more of the richness of the lives of the McCamy family, how life was in those times that these people lived through.

There are some interesting letters that have been posted under her parents' ancestry sites, (Rogers and Catherine McCamy) which were written to her own grandmother, Ida Mullendore McCamy.

There is a lot more information that was posted at Ancestry that I'm not going to include.  Richard (Kay's older brother) was born in 1937 in Dallas TX. The letters are from Rogers and Kay Catherine McCamy from 1939-1947, with notes by Kay Catherine (1975) and then her grand-daughter, Megan (2000) added at the end.

---------------
April 12, 1939

Dear Granny:

Richard and I are in the yard enjoying the sunshine. He has my cheese grater sawing on the chair and then hammering and working with the pliers on it. He keeps so busy all day, planting, digging and swinging. I wish you were here to sit with us. This weather is glorious.

Richard was so tickled over his card with the little chickens. I usually read your letters to him as he often understands and remembers things I would never expect. He is beginning to enjoy parts of the funny paper, too, and you’ll often find him sprawled out on the floor looking at the pictures…Time for Richard’s lunch. More later.

Love, Catherine



Dearest Mommy and gang:

Just a line to go with Kay’s letter. We are all well, broke and happy. Everything is rocking along just as usual. Dick is the only thing that changes and he is changed every half-hour. I think we’ll have to shoot him to stop him. He finds it mighty to make mud pies when out in the yard, especially as we don’t have a hydrant. We’ve been trying to train him to run up and down the garden rows, but his feet overlap and he tramps down the beans. It’s a wonder anything has survived both Dick and Blackie… Dick is talking plainer everyday and getting away from his baby talk. A baby is now babby instead of beddee, but a baby buggy is still a beddee guggy, and he likes to ride in it. The landlord left a wheelbarrow in the back yard and I’ve walked 1001 miles pushing Dick and Blackie. He got mad at me one night and dashed out the back door, plopped down on all fours in the yard and started drinking out of Blackie’s pan. That’s what you call revenge.

We are still looking forward to seeing you soon.

Love, Rog

--------------------------------

November, 17 1939

Dear Mom and Gang:

We got our first notice of payment on the house this week. We had been told by several people that usually the first payment did not come due until 6 weeks to 3 months after moving in, but we got our notice about Nov. 10th that the first payment was due on Nov. 1st -- $25.00. The dec. payment will be $30 and beginning Jan 1st they will be $35.00 until the 300th payment which will be $20.00. That is something to look forward to and strive for, because after all it is only 25 years until we get to make a $20 payment. I will be creeping around on a stick and Kay will be bouncing some of the great grand younguns on her squeaky knees. Some of Dick’s kids will probably get to take advantage of that $20 payment. Oh well, time will tell.

I love you everyone, Rog

-------------------------------

January 10, 1941

Dearest Mommy and Folks:

…I’m leaving at 6 this afternoon for a construction job in Newberg, Missouri at $200 a month and expenses…The job I’m going on is a $21,000,000 army camp and will last 6 months, then if I make good on that job then I will stay on – it could be a life time job. In about a month, if living conditions permit, I’ll come back to Dallas, trade the car for a better one and drive Kay and Dick back.

No more time now, must get straight with the City, pack and make the train—I’d hate to miss and mess the deal.

Rog



January 14, 1941

Dear Granny:

…My plan now, though subject to change, is trade the car in on a good second hand car and have the salesman drive it up, as I don’t want to drive it. I’ll go on the train…Richard misses Rog and I’m completely lost without him. I’ll move heaven and earth to get there and once my mind is set it is impossible to get off the track…

Love, Catherine


January 17, 1941

Dear Granny:

The latest news is that Richard and I will be unable to go to Missouri because of the crowded living conditions –15,000 or more moving into towns of 2,000…

I’ll write again when I hear more.

Love, Kay

---------------
February 16, 1941

Dear mommy and folks:

…The job pays good and I like it, but it costs so much to live that we don’t clear a whole lot more than at home and Kay and Dick are stuck out in the Ozarks with nothing to do, nobody for Dick to play with except Blackie… Mom, I want you to see this place and eat some of the food – I’m fed up – damn near foundered – on pork and turnips, pork and parsnips, pork and pork. I’ve eaten so much pork that I can hobnob with the pigs and they don’t bite, just say, “Hi brother” and go on, or move over at the trough…

Love, Rog


 February 28, 1941

Dearest Mommy and folks:

…Kay and Dick left last Wednesday night for Dallas. Dick had a sore throat and the doctor here had said bad tonsils and Kay was just down with the flu…Everyone here has it or has had it so we decided a trip to Texas until April would be best for Dick…

I love you, Rog


November 13, 1941

Dear Granny:

…Your son, I know, forgets so many, many things and I try to see how he does, but last night was the limit. He called me about five thirty to meet him at our usual place. Richard and I rushed over and sat and sat. About fifteen till seven two policemen drove up and said: “Mrs. McCamy, your husband called and said he was home; that he forgot to get off the bus.” So Richard and I came home and found him eating beans. He had called the police station and the message was broadcast for fifty miles or more….

Love, Catherine



Rogers finally got a job with a Defense contractor in Austin, Texas where the Austin Company was building a Magnesium plant. He went down first, then Dick and I followed



February 27, 1942

Dearest Mommy:

… I have a little duplex rented out in Hyde Park (North Austin) and also have a deposit up on an apartment –extra nice—on the corner of Speedway and 31st. The apartment won’t be vacant until March 10th so we probably won’t stay long in the duplex…

I love you, Rog



March 6,1942

Dearest Mommy:

…So far our stay in Austin has not been so good. It has rained or the wind has blown a gale so Dick has been confined to the house. Friday night he developed a cropy cold and has steadily grown worse until today he had a temperature of 103. The doctor came out today but could not say definitely what the trouble is except there is a musical, asthmatic rattle and an infection of some kind. He said Dick is allergic to something, which causes his colds and croupy condition and asthma. He also said that the allergy is possibly inherited even as far away as an aunt or uncle…

Love to all, Rog

November 10, 1942

Dear Granny:

I don’t do much but take care of the baby, but the time flies…Carolyn is gaining fast. She looks all around now and smiles faintly though big in her sleep. The picture we are sending will give you some idea of what she looks like. Everybody thinks she resembles Dorothy and her children. I hope she does, especially in her eyes. She has long curly eyelashes and her hair is still a golden yellow color, so curly. I fell last night with her but held onto her, but nearly broke my knees. These d--- floors are bare and slick in places…


March 10, 1943

Dearest Mommy:

It seems like ages since I last wrote you, and no doubt it has been ages. For the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been working 15 to 16 hours a day, then go to Dallas Saturday night and get back early Monday morning. It was good while it lasted but it was too much overtime and they cut me back to the regular 9 hrs. and day, 6 days a week. The job is nearly finished and I don’t know when nor where I’ll be sent—if anywhere.

Enough of work, I never did like it, but I’m not afraid of it and can lie and sleep right along side of it.

I went home last weekend and found them all well. Sis is getting big so fast and cuter each week. She looks like a little tow-headed McCamy all the way. She tries so hard to crawl but can’t get anywhere. She does get around in her bed and always has her head jammed up against the headboard.

Rick is a big schoolboy but still a baby at home. He is a good little pal and I wish you were with him because I would like for him to have at least some of the pleasures I’ve enjoyed of which you are the first, last and biggest (don’t take this like it sounds). Besides I want to see my mommy too…

I love you, Rog

-----------

After Dick got over the measles Carolyn had the measles and then they both had chickenpox. The house was cold with ice on the inside of the windows and I was sick so when we decided the people next door were selling dope (though we had no proof) we decided that Dick, Carolyn and I should come back to Dallas and so we got our house back and moved in after spending some weeks with mamma and daddy. Roger’s didn’t want to come back so we planned to sell our house in the summer and buy one in Amarillo by fall at the beginning of school.

-----------

July 10, 1944

Dearest Mommy:

…Kay and the kids are still in Dallas and are well and happy. They moved back into our house last Friday… I spent a week of my vacation in Dallas 3 or 4 weeks ago and burned up. The summer is ideal out here.

There are no recent snapshots of the kids because we can’t get film, but Kay had their pictures made recently and will send one of each. Dick has all his front teeth out and is a picture. Sis is getting so big but still won’t talk. Her hair is down to her shoulders and is really pretty. Last time I saw them, both were covered with infected chigger bites and Kay was putting blue medicine on them. Sis looked like a spotted pup with that blue medicine sticking out of her white hair. Wish I could have them with me but for the past 1-2 months I’ve been mighty busy with wheat harvest, gin and grain elevator repairs so couldn’t have been with them much…

Love, Rog


November 18, 1945

Dearest Mommy and gang:

…Kay has been lost since you left. Believe she gets more dissatisfied with Amarillo all the time, but won’t leave on account of Sis. Sis still talks about tickling your pigs and still gets a lick out of thinking about it. Dick is in the “runaway” stage right now. About twice a week he threatens to run away and never see us again. I kiss him goodbye and tell him not to go out of the yard when he leaves us. It works swell. Sometimes he goes as far as his club house. We finally got it fixed up in pretty good shape…

I love you, Rog


May 27, 1946

Dearest Mom:

Got home about 3 or 4 hours ago and found your letter of last Friday. WE had a nice visit and meeting in Dallas. Spent Thursday night at Margaret’s then went on to Dallas early Friday morning.

We were dreading the stay in Dallas because of the heat and they’ve been having so much rain. But the weather was perfect the whole visit. We didn’t even get to boast of our Amarillo weather. When we got home this evening, about 6, the place was almost blowing away and the dust was so thick the prairie dogs were flying through the air digging holes as they blew along. I always thought that was a good West Texas story until I saw it today. Mom, I’m coming to Washington in two or three weeks and would like for you to come back with me… On Friday or Saturday I’ll take Kay and the kids to San Angelo to visit Dorothy. Then the next day, about June 9th, I’ll drive on to Dallas and catch the train for Washington. I’ll have two weeks vacation. We are afraid to go any place to eat out with the kids (Polio is still going in San Antonio with one or two more cases every day, 30 odd cases up to today and 2 or 3 new ones in Dallas yesterday). So I’m going to take our vacation and come see you. I can postpone it until later if you don’t think you can come back with me then…Sis, the little wart, says she wants to tickle your pigs when you go to bed. Dick says you can have his room, as he wants to fix up the back porch for his room and workshop…

Love, Rog

------------
Rogers went for Granny and she came to Amarillo and spent the summer and part of the fall with us. The letters were probably not saved or were lost as we do not have anymore until the summer of 1947 when we took a trip to Red River and then in the fall of 1947 when Rogers had to have his leg amputated.

--------

July 20, 1947

Dear Mom:

At last we’re off for that vacation. We’re just loafing along. Tonight we’re in Raton. Tomorrow to Red River where we have reservations for 3 nights. Then to Taos, Santa Fe and home the last of the week. Having a good lazy time…

I love you, Rog




October 1, 1947

Dearest Mom & Win:

Got home Monday night on the streamliner. Mel came with me. We had a compartment and it was without a doubt the roughest train ride I’ve ever made. Ed Dewey met us and all the Eubanks were there. Mrs. Beneke is leaving at 7 tonight for 3 months of visiting in Missouri.

Mel is out working my territory and goes home tomorrow night. He has really been swell to me. Came out to the hospital every morning at 10 for coffee. Has arranged to have a special clutch put in the new Plymouth I’m getting soon. He also did a lot of arranging for insurance, etc. Hospital bill was $225 of which I only paid $75. Not bad for a 3 weeks vacation.

I’m still feeling fine and the leg (rather what’s left) looks good. If my foot would just quit cutting up. Feels like it’s asleep all the time and you know that’s an uncomfortable feeling.

I got your letter and $5 Sunday and thank you. Started to send you a wire Monday that I was leaving but decided it might scare you. I’m a little afraid you don’t believe I actually feel so good and I don’t blame you. Actually I don’t think I was supposed to, but I was trying to be as tough and sturdy as my mother.

Love, Rog



October 8, 1947

Dearest Mom & Folks:

Now I know how you feel when you wait for the postman and he doesn’t bring anything. Sitting and lying around the house has been the hardest part of this ordeal.

The leg has been hurting more than usual lately so last night I called Bill and he said it is internal scar contraction which is causing it. Nothing to worry about because it is a good sign that everything is all right. I have to exercise it 20 times every hour by bending and straightening it out. This keeps the muscles flexible and will enable me to wear a leg sooner and better.

Everything from the very beginning has gone along very smoothly. I don’t know whether I told you or not, but it was supposed to take 2 operations. The first would be the amputation and then a 3-week period of bed. They were going to keep the bone open for observation and keep the skin in traction (with the weights and pulleys) then if there was no more infection in the open bone; they would roll up the skin and sew it together. However, on Sunday before going to Dallas on Monday, I got out and mowed the yard and over did myself. Consequently, the leg was reddish and swollen, as usual.  When the doctors looked at it on Tuesday, Dr. Girard said it looked bad, but there was a slim chance that if I would enter the hospital 4 days before the operation and keep the leg in cold packs that it would clean up to where they could do it in one operation --- however it was a very slim chance. Well, it worked and instead of entering the operating room again at the end of three weeks, I was home. Stayed there 20 days and could have been out sooner but Mel couldn’t get away sooner and I was having a good time.

I’ve been taking Phenobarbital to clam my nerves and sleep but Bill said to get off of it. Does something to your blood stream and was probably causing some of the pain. I’ve cut it out and the pain has cut down. Have to keep an elastic bandage on to shrink it so it will fit inside that willow leg. Bill talked like I’d be trying on a leg in about another 6 weeks. He said to go ahead and work or do anything I was big enough to do. Dammit, they just won’t let a guy be an invalid. However, I’m about fed up with this home life and inactivity. Everyday seems to improve the pains. If my damn toes would just quit cramping and that foot would wake up, it would feel good. That foot even feels like it has athletes’ foot like I had last year.

There was an intern at the hospital who did a biopsy, a fancy word for cutting out some chunks of the old scar to test for malignancy, the day before the operation. He is from Syria and has only been over here a couple of years so hasn’t has time to pick up many of our ways. During the biopsy he would punch around on the old scar until he hit a tender spot and I would flinch. Then he would grab his little bottle of flit and freeze that spot and quickly cut it out and carefully wrap it up. The first spot hurt, the second spot hurt like hell and I told the nurse to step back because I was going to kick the sunnavabitch right out the window if he hurt me like that again. He took me seriously, and the next two bits were away over on the side where I barely felt them. A few days after the operation he came back looking half scared, and wanted me to sign a paper giving the hospital authority to dispose of the old leg. Said it would be cremated. I was punchy on dope and told him “hell no” I wouldn’t sign it because I wanted the old leg pickled so I could take it home and put it in the refrigerator so I could scratch it if it got to tickling. He believed that too, but after some arguing I signed the paper and he made a beeline for the door. Must have thought I was going to hit him. I had told Dr. Girard to keep the SOB away from me after the rough biopsy. Before I left, we were good friends. He is going back to Syria next year and open his own hospital.

…Yesterday Kay took some pictures and we’ll finish the roll within a few days and send you a set to prove that I’m in good shape. Am learning the crutches pretty good, although I stay away from steps.

The kids are growing like weeds. Dick is 5 feet tall now and will be bigger than Kay before long. For some reason he didn’t go out for football after we bought all the gear for it. He weighs 90 lbs. And would have done good on a team. His schoolwork is really getting heavy and hard. However, he studies hard and is making good grades. As for little Miss Priss, she is going to be all legs and knees. Had her fifth birthday party last Saturday. She’s been looking for changes in herself now that she’s 5. Thinks there should be some difference in a 4 and 5 year old girl. She got a new tricycle and just gets off of it long enough to sleep. She gets a kick out of nursing me. She plays a lot with the little 8-year-old girl next door, when Judy is home from school.

Time to run around the block. That’s what we call my hourly exercise….

Love, Rog



October 10, 1947

Dearest Mom and Win:

…We went to town yesterday to see about a leg. It will be about 6 weeks yet before I try one. However, in a week or ten days the leg man will start wrapping the stub a special way to make it shrink…The legs are very fancy with ball bearings, bolts, wrenches, all wrapped up in rawhide and shellac.

…Must stop and take a bath. I can’t stand me any longer. It is no trouble to get in and out of the tub. We put Sis’ little rocking chair in the tub to lay “Stubby” on. That’s what the kids call it, and me now.

I love you,

Rog



December 1, 1947

Dearest Mom:

Just a note to let you know everything is all right. I’m going to Lubbock this week to get measured for a leg and it will be ready in 30 days. I have to go to Dallas January 5th for a sales meeting and will go by Fort Worth and get the leg then. I took a tumble last week and thought I’d broken all my ribs. Dr. Powers came out Thanksgiving morning and said I’d just pulled some muscles in my side and no ribs were cracked…

I love you, Rog


-------------

December 11, 1975:


This is the last of the letters. I don’t know what happened to those written in 1949 and 1950. After Granny died these were found among her things.

In February 1951 Rogers went to Greenbelt in the car and brought Granny home with him. She was only there a short time when she had a heart atttack and died. She was buried in Knoxville, Tennessee.

We sold our house on Polk Street in 1949 and built one on Bowie. WE then sold that house and Rogers and two engineers from Denver formed a business rubber lining chemical tanks. This did not work out so we moved to Dallas in 1955 and Rogers went to work for a rubber company. Dick went to Southern Methodist University and Carolyn to Highland Park Junior High. I then went to work at Southern Methodist University.

Dick graduated from Texas University at Austin and then went to Washington, D.C., working for NSA and later for NASA. He married Kathy Stalans from Maryville, Tennessee. They have two little girls: Bria now age nine and Megan, age six. They returned to Dallas where Dick obtained a Masters Degree in Computer Science at SMU and then they returned to Maryland where they now live and he is with a consulting firm.

Carolyn graduated from Higland Park Hifgh School and attended Texas Tech one year and SMU one year. She then married Kenneth Coffelt of Oklahoma City and graduated from Notrh Texas State University. They have a little boy, Jeff, six years old. Carolyn is now teaching in Arlington in a private school where they live.

Catherine Landrum McCamy


July 12, 2000
 ---------------------
All of these photographs and letters were assembled and retyped by Catherine McCamy, and were among Grandady’s  (Eljah Rogers McCamy) things after his death

Megan McCamy Drobes
----------------------------

Aren't these wonderful glimpses into a time when these cousins lived? I just feel as if I know them.  I'll share some of the photos from Ancestry soon.

  Dick lived until 2001.

I hope someday someone will enjoy reading about these folks, and maybe about my life as well.  I'll put more effort into expressing what my surroundings are like, as well as some of the trials and tribulations, and the celebrations too.


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful it is that you came across my Aunt Carolyn, dad (Richard D McCamy) Grandaddy McCamy (Elijah Rogers) and Mim's (Catherine Landrum) letters! That makes me feel so happy that someone found and read them. :) I am enjoying learning about you, as well.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Megan...it's nice to know that you are among the folks out there in the world reading these blogs that I just plug away at producing. My more personal information is usually at the blog When I Was 69...a link is above on this blog. If you have an email and would like to correspond...mine is blackmtnbarb@ gmail DOT com. We're some kind of cousins!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.